maven-users mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Release Plugin Explained?
Date Tue, 15 Jun 2010 15:05:03 GMT

Have you found this yet? http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-release-plugin/

> Reference information on Apache's website is good but I would like
> to understand the philosophy behind the process.

The basic philosophy is that the release plugin manages releases, you
don't. Or to put it another way, no custom weird procedures, no weird
scripts, only one procedure consisting of two steps:

mvn release:prepare release:perform

The first part, release:prepare, does all the preparation for, and
tagging your release. Lots of checks and balances, like "is your code
checked in", "does it build", "does your test suite run", followed by
the creation of the tag, and the bumping of the version numbers in all
the poms.

The second part is the bit that does the build itself, from the tag
created earlier. This is done as a separate step, as your build might
be platform specific, and need to run on another target machine.

> How should I manage versions, the scoop behind snapshots, how an SCM
> figures into this picture, best practices etc. I suspect Nexus is a
> great tool to do all that however I can't install it due to
> corporate policy.

If your pom is properly configured with the correct scm details, etc,
the the release plugin will just work.

In practice, you may find while attempting to run the release plugin
that your pom metadata isn't accurate, but this is easy to fix - just
fix each problem as it arises. Once the release plugin runs clean end
to end, you're done.

While experimenting, you may want to try and rollback a release that
bombed out halfway through. "mvn release:rollback" should do the
trick, allowing you to try again.

Regards,
Graham