maven-users mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@sonatype.com>
Subject Re: Branch with Google guice?
Date Mon, 07 Jun 2010 14:00:58 GMT

On Jun 7, 2010, at 2:23 AM, nicolas de loof wrote:

> From a user perspective, no visible change is fine and is what we can
> expect. What for plugin developpers ? Moving to @Inject annotations is a
> significant API change, and set plugin prerequisites to maven3+. I supose we
> will have many debates on this...

There is no change to the existing plugin API, keep writing them as you are writing them.
Unless otherwise stated the goal of 3.0 is backward compatibility.

> Also, considering Maven3 to be embeddable in other tools (@see current
> thread on dev@hudson.java.net), the move to Guice has many impacts and makes
> things simplier.

Embedding is outside the scope of the 3.0 objective of backward compatibility for typical
users. The embedding APIs are going to change a lot. Every time I look at another use case
something changes, it's definitely not stable. I currently have five things where I'm trying
to embed and nothing is settled and I'm honestly not comfortable publishing a draft until
I have something working in:

- M2Eclipse
- Nexus
- Hudson
- Maven Shell
- Proviso

Then once the draft is published we can settle on the APIs and this is not going to happen
in the 3.0 timeframe. It's likely to be a 3.1 thing.