maven-users mailing list archives

From Kalpak Gadre <kalpa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Conveniently switch between settings
Date Sat, 08 May 2010 06:01:33 GMT
I am using a global settings file (sort of! user level settings. I have
them in my .m2/ folder and not in maven/conf/)

It would have been really nice if I could define something like "network
profiles" and I could activate the proxy settings automatically say on
the basis of IP range. But again this only works for proxy stuff. People
working on multiple projects will face issues with things like
repositories / mirrors?

Currently I have settled with two scripts "atwork" and "athome" which
simply switch my settings file.

Kalpak

Heh, that's old school - you actually have two different machines. I
> bet many developers today do their work on a single laptop, which
> leads to the constant need to change settings, especially if you work
> on multiple projects, some professional, some open source ones. One
> solution is, if you can, to run your own personal proxy that proxies
> everything you need and go through that at all times.
>
> Kalle
>

> On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 7:04 AM, Thiessen, Todd (Todd)
> <tthiessen@avaya.com>  wrote:
>
>> Hmmm. I don't quite see the issue. At home I have a settings.xml file that defines
my environment at home, and at work I have a settings.xml file that defines my environment
at work. I can issue the same "mvn<command>" at home or at work and at home it doesn't
go to a proxy and at work it does. I don't see what issue you are having. There is no need
to switch between settings.xml files.

>> Are you perhaps saving your settings.xml file with your project in source control?
This may be the problem.

>> All I do is modify the global settings.xml file in the conf folder of my maven install.
You could put these changes in your local settings.xml file but I prefer the global settings.xml
file as I find configuring which repos to use to be more global in nature.