maven-users mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject avoiding kludge when factoring common build steps into parent pom
Date Fri, 07 May 2010 18:30:20 GMT
I have a bunch of project that execute some common build steps.

I factored these out into a parent-pom, and change the projects to
specify this as their parent.

My parent-pom is of package-type "pom".

The problem I'm having is that the factored-out build steps run when I
do "mvn install" on the parent-pom to get it into my local repo.  These
steps don't work and throw errors, when run here.

So I fixed this with a kludge - and I'm hoping to learn a better way.
My kludge:

I moved the build steps into a profile, and activated the profile on the
absence of a file, named something like
"marker-file-identifying-parent-pom-XXX".  And then, I put a dummy file
of that name into the parent project.  This keeps the pom from running
the build steps in the parent, but makes those steps available to the
children.

Is there a better way?

-Marshall Schor