maven-users mailing list archives

From zm <zzzz_m...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Maven EAR + EJB ... jars with prefixed "lib/" except for EJB
Date Mon, 24 May 2010 09:36:25 GMT

Stephen Coy-3 wrote:

> On 21/05/2010, at 10:14 PM, Nicola Musatti wrote:
>
>> Are you sure about this? I'm asking because this is not the behaviour I'm
>> seeing for a WAR deployed to Websphere 7.0.0.7. In order for the
>> containing EAR's jar's to be visible from the WAR I have to specify them
>> explicitly in the WAR's manifest.
>

> From "JavaTM Platform, Enterprise Edition (Java EE) Specification, v5"
>
> EE.8.2.1	Bundled Libraries
>
> 1. ...
>
> 2. A .ear file may contain a directory that contains libraries packaged in
> JAR files. The library-directory element of the.earfile’s deployment
> descriptor contains the name of this directory. If a library-directory
> element isn’t specified, or if the .ear file does not contain a deployment
> descriptor, the directory named lib is used. An empty library-directory
> element may be used to specify that there is no library directory.
> All files in this directory (but not subdirectories) with a .jar extension
> must be made available to all components packaged in the EAR file,
> including application clients. These libraries may reference other
> libraries, either bundled with the application or installed separately,
> using any of the techniques described herein.
>
> 3. A web application may include libraries in the WEB-INF/lib directory.
> See the Servlet specification for details. These libraries may reference
> other libraries, either bundled with the application or installed
> separately, using any of the techniques described herein.
>
> The usual reason for this not working is using an old (J2EE 1.3 or 1.4)
> DTD/schema in the application.xml file.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Steve C

Perfect, that was exactly what I was thinking, that the specification should
define this.

This eases the work of making a cross-application-server EAR archive. Also
not needing the manifest entries makes it more easy to maintain the pom
files for maven.

We have so much stuff to worry about, that these small definitions help
alot.

I'll definitely try it on JBoss, WebSphere and Geronimo to check it out

Thanks.

Note about posting: I post in nabble.com, this time I'll post using Internet
Explorer.