maven-users mailing list archives

From Bob Aiello <bob.aie...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Refactoring the Maven Build
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2010 02:22:31 GMT
Hi Jesse (and everyone),

you are more than welcome to not go so easy on me. I am a hands-on
process improvement guy with many years of experience as a build
engineer and release manager. I am also the Editor in Chief at CM
Crossroads (www.cmcrossroads.com) where I write about topics related to
configuration management including build engineering. I have worked with
Ant, Make/GNU Make and MS Build along with Maven 1.0.2 and Maven 2.

I have been struggling to get my arms around Maven for some time now and
wanted to make a concerted effort to get past my learning curve because
it has become increasingly clear that Maven is the build tool of choice
for Java applications. In my work, I have been asked several times to
review existing Maven builds that had the problems that I described in
the article. I did not create these problems. They were created by
software developers who were, as you say, "a higher caliber maven user"
than I am today.

I appreciate your comments which I am reviewing and I am glad to
refactor my article on "Refactoring the Maven build", but I suspect that
I am not the only person struggling to get up to speed with maven.
Perhaps I am a little more daring because I am willing to publicly start
the conversation. I would also suggest that Maven is tough for many
people to master and it could be argued that we, as a community, could
do a better job explaining the concepts and spreading the knowledge. I
would like to be part of that effort.

So I will challenge you Jesse (and others) to share what you know (as
you obviously do on this list) and also to help mentor the rest of us
along. I will do my best to come up to speed as well and I can probably
add some value by helping others along with their learning curve too.
What other resources are there available for newbies to learn how to use
Maven? I know of the PDF that we can all download and books published by
O'Reilly and Packt. I have written a number of articles on Maven and
will write lots more (which you are absolutely welcome to critique).
http://www.cmcrossroads.com/cm-basics/13111-the-maven-super-pom
http://www.cmcrossroads.com/cm-basics/13070-getting-started-with-maven
http://www.cmcrossroads.com/cm-basics/11656-a-little-more-maven-102
http://www.cmcrossroads.com/cm-basics/10379-maven-102-the-walk-down-memory-lane-you-may-very-well-need

Feel free to send me your articles and I will get them published (that
includes articles from other beginners who climbing the stairs with me).

I will always be delighted incorporate feedback and suggestions as I try
to be the best that I can be.

regards,

Bob
http://www.linkedin.com/in/BobAiello