maven-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Anders Hammar <and...@hammar.net>
Subject Re: Had to remove a plugin dir from local repo, why? [was Re: what does it mean with this error when trying to run mvn eclipse:eclipse (Cannot find mojo descriptor for: 'eclipse:eclipse' - Treating as non-aggregator.)
Date Wed, 03 Feb 2010 20:35:54 GMT
Yes, I was actually thinkign about this possibility after sending the mail.
This is what I think has happened:

1. You've run mvn eclipse:eclipse, which will get the latest version of the
plugin. You then had a setup that included the Apache snapshot repo so you
got 2.8-snapshot.
2. The setup changed. Either locally or in artifactory. Only you know which.
3. You try again. Maven sees in the local repo that there is a snapshot
version (2.8-SNAPSHOT) and Maven then tries to update that (Maven updates
once a day by default). As the setup has changed, Maven can't get the
snapshot version.

When you deleted the local repo Maven had to go out to find the latest
version, which now was 2.7 (served by your artifactory instance). Thus
everything worked.

/Anders

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 20:40, Rick R <rickcr@gmail.com> wrote:

> I changed the subject since I think this is now more of a general local
> repository question.
>
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 2:08 PM, Anders Hammar <anders@hammar.net> wrote:
>
> > Regarding why Maven tries to use 2.8-SNAPSHOT and isn't successful I'm
> > somewhat puzzled. You didn't post the full error output, so I can't say
> for
> > sure. Also, I need to know more about your Artifactory setup to spot the
> > problem.
> >
>
>
> Ok, this is really weird, how could one's existing local repository affect
> things? I was going to post a long email of things I've tried but the
> bottom
> line is that when I went in to my local repository and deleted:
> org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin/
>
> The, 'mvn eclipse:eclipse' command worked just fine - the plugin downloaded
> fine  ( I was trying this off a simple archetype jar project not using the
> artifactory repo.)
>
> I knew something had to be up since when I backed up (moved my repository
> to
> repo.bak) and then ran mvn eclipse:eclipse the eclipse plugin worked just
> fine. As soon as I put my old repo back I got the failure error shown at
> the
> end of this post.
>
> So now my question is: why in the world would my local repository affect
> this? Did I have some kind of corrupt version of the plugin?
>
> Here was the error I WAS getting BEFORE I manually removed the
> maven-eclipse-plugin dir from my repo
>
>
> [ERROR] BUILD FAILURE
> [INFO]
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> [INFO] A required plugin was not found: Plugin could not be found - check
> that the goal name is correct: Unable to download the artifact from any
> repository
>
> Try downloading the file manually from the project website.
>
> Then, install it using the command:
>    mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=org.apache.maven.plugins
> -DartifactId=maven-eclipse-plugin -Dversion=2.8-SNAPSHOT
> -Dpackaging=maven-plugin -Dfile=/path/to/file
>
> Alternatively, if you host your own repository you can deploy the file
> there:
>    mvn deploy:deploy-file -DgroupId=org.apache.maven.plugins
> -DartifactId=maven-eclipse-plugin -Dversion=2.8-SNAPSHOT
> -Dpackaging=maven-plugin -Dfile=/path/to/file -Durl=[url]
> -DrepositoryId=[id]
>
>
>  org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-eclipse-plugin:maven-plugin:2.8-SNAPSHOT
>
> from the specified remote repositories:
>  central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)
>
>
>  org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-eclipse-plugin:maven-plugin:2.8-SNAPSHOT
>
> from the specified remote repositories:
>  central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message