maven-users mailing list archives

From "E. Pregzt" <pre...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Maven2/CI Best Practices for Distributed Development
Date Tue, 16 Feb 2010 08:52:17 GMT
Hi Stephen,

Just a quick note. We do have CI for each parallel stream. I think I
explained that in the initial message to the list. There is one Hudson
build that runs for trunk and each team has its own Hudson build that
runs all the team branched from trunk and also all the net new stuff
they developed.

Cheers,
R. Pregzt

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 8:33 AM, Stephen Connolly
<stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16 February 2010 08:26, E. Pregzt <pregzt@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Ron,
>>
>> The merging is not a issue or I should say this is well managed issue
>> :) And yes we are using Subversion. The teams that are about to start
>> their iterations/sprints branch the code from trunk. During two week
>> cycle they develop in their branches. There is a schedule of merges
>> agreed among the team leaders, so merges are sequential. Wen it comes
>> to merge each team pulls everything up from trunk to branch and
>> stabilize on the branch (now including all the changes) and then merge
>> it down to trunk. Next team does the same, so we have a guarantee that
>> we are moving in small steps and 'absorbing' relatively small change
>> sets. Wen last time finishes the trunk Hudson kicks in and performs
>> tests, if green we release software.
>>

> What I don't like about that technique is you do not have CI tests
> running on the branches...
>
> We do things somewhat differently...
>
> we do not deploy -SNAPSHOTs at all!
>
> we have a couple of hudson builds, one for each group, and then a
> final hudson build that aggregates all the trunks and pre-run's
> "versions:update-properties -DallowSnaphots=true" so that we are
> integrating the latest -SNAPSHOT versions of everything.  All our
> hudson builds just run the goal "verify"... that also ensures that
> when it comes time to release with the release plugin, our releases
> just work.
>
> if you always build with "install" then you can hide issues where
> people have a project which cannot be released with "release:prepare
> release:perform"
>
>> This is somehow off the main topic, because my main concern is not
>> merging, but how to get the best from the Maven to support the
>> distributed development.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> E. Pregzt
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 10:28 PM, Ron Wheeler
>> <rwheeler@artifact-software.com> wrote:
>>> I would rather address the divergence during development with branches and
>>> synchronization than be merging code after everyone has tested their
>>> artifacts and are convinced that they are correct. This makes it hard to get
>>> a release out or even know where you are in the release since someone's
>>> opinion that they have tested code ready to go is not necessarily true.
>>>
>>> With a good SCM such as Subversion, it is easy to tell if your changes to
>>> supporting libraries are in conflict with someone else. You have the choice
>>> to branch the source and build your own snapshots if you do not want to
>>> address the problem up front.
>>> At least you know that you have a problem if 2 branches are moving forward.
>>> With two identically named and versioned objects that may or may not be the
>>> same, you are never sure what your state is or how much work is required to
>>> finish.
>>>

>>> Ron

P2
T3