maven-users mailing list archives

From "EJ Ciramella" <ecirame...@upromise.com>
Subject RE: Deployment Properties file
Date Thu, 18 Feb 2010 19:38:20 GMT
Profiles are used to just swap between configurations, run plugins that normally don't run,
etc.

Stuff you'd like to be able to switch on and off.

If your goal is to just load properties, that seems like a good approach.

Now if you had a properties file for each server type, then you'd put each property file loading
configuration in a profile devoted to that app server (but from what I can tell, you get that
already).

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Collings [mailto:jlistnews@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 18, 2010 2:23 PM
To: Maven Users List
Subject: Re: Deployment Properties file

>> all have their stuff in different places.  What I want is a properties
>> file that the dev can stash in his home directory which will be read
>> by Maven to establish installation parameters and JVM options for each
>
> Maybe use settings.xml in user home dir? Otherwise this calls for a profile.
> Wayne

Profiles? Aren't those used for different platforms?  I think you
mistake my meaning. We have a project that has two subcomponents, one
of which runs on a full J2EE container, Weblogic and the other which
runs on Sun Webserver 7.

BTW, this seems to work OK:

            <plugin>
                <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
                <artifactId>properties-maven-plugin</artifactId>
                <version>1.0-alpha-2</version>
                <executions>
                    <execution>
                        <phase>initialize</phase>
                        <goals>
                            <goal>read-project-properties</goal>
                        </goals>
                        <configuration>
                            <files>
                                <file>${env.HOME}/.somefile.properties</file>
                            </files>
                        </configuration>
                    </execution>
                </executions>