maven-users mailing list archives

From Andreas Sewe <s...@st.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
Subject Re: Plugin executions vs. POM inheritance
Date Tue, 02 Feb 2010 23:07:42 GMT
Hi Stephen,

I am in a situation similar to the OP's, so your reply made me refactor
my POMs. (Its never to late to get rid of a little copy-n-paste :-)

But unfortunately I couldn't get your proposal to work. Here's the
execution I configured in my parent POM, which I want to reuse in *some*
of my child POMs:

<pluginManagement>
<plugins>
<plugin>
<artifactId>maven-failsafe-plugin</artifactId>
<version>2.5</version>
<!-- Thrown in for good measure; I suspect I only need the
execution-level inherited -->
<inherited>false</inherited>
<executions>
<execution>
<id>integration-test-with-foo</id>
<inherited>false</inherited>
<goals>
<goal>integration-test</goal>
<goal>verify</goal>
</goals>
<configuration>
<argLine>FOO</argLine>
</configuration>
</execution>
</executions>
</plugin>
<plugins>
</pluginManagement>

Due to the use of <pluginManagement> instead of a plain <plugins> the
parent POM itself does not use this execution (as desired).

Now, calling the "integration-test-with-foo" execution from a child POM
also works fine:

<plugins>
<plugin>
<artifactId>maven-failsafe-plugin</artifactId>
<executions>
<execution>
<id>integration-test-with-foo</id>
</execution>
</executions>
</plugin>
<plugins>

But even if I don't call it at all from one of my child POMs, but rather
use a different plugin execution, "integration-test-with-foo" still gets
executed (along with "integration-test-with-bar"):

<plugins>
<plugin>
<artifactId>maven-failsafe-plugin</artifactId>
<executions>
<execution>
<id>integration-test-with-bar</id>
<goals>
<goal>integration-test</goal>
<goal>verify</goal>
</goals>
<configuration>
<argLine>BAR</argLine>
</configuration>
</execution>
</executions>
</plugin>
<plugins>

And that's something I don't understand. Isn't
<inherited>false</inherited> supposed to prevent this? (FWIW, this
happens using either Maven 2.2.0 or a recent 3.0-SNAPSHOT, so I suppose
its a bug in my understanding of <inherited> rather than in Maven's.)

Best wishes,

Andreas Sewe