maven-users mailing list archives

From "Gorham-Engard, Frank" <Frank_Gorham-Eng...@cable.comcast.com>
Subject RE: Plugin for updating external XML file content
Date Mon, 01 Feb 2010 18:26:24 GMT
Hi Ilya
Yes, I agree, keeping it simple is a positive value.

Perhaps you haven't noticed that ant is an "existing maven plugin". It is possible to run
inline ant tasks or external scripts without having an "ant installation" on your system.
Maven will get ant from the Maven repositories for you.

I'm just saying that I think starting a new project to create a plugin is not as simple as
using a bit of ant script, at least for those who have a little ant exposure.

<!-- Frank Gorham-Engard →

-----Original Message-----
From: Ilya Kazakevich [mailto:kazakevich@devexperts.com]
Sent: Monday, February 01, 2010 1:08 PM
To: 'Maven Users List'
Subject: RE: Plugin for updating external XML file content

Hello Frank.

Using too many tools could make project too complicated. I saw a project
with maven, ant and .bat files. It was tricky:)
If something could be solved using maven only -- we should do so. Ant-script
at least requires ant to be installed on platform.
If something cannt be solved using existing maven plugins -- we should make
decision between creating maven plugin and using ant script, because ant
script is better than shell script for example (because of its
cross-platform nature). But I am sure that 99% of our issues could be solved
using maven only. But that’s my imho, and its probably not a best practice.