maven-users mailing list archives

From "Ilya Kazakevich" <kazakev...@devexperts.com>
Subject RE: Automatic updates from repository
Date Mon, 01 Feb 2010 12:47:46 GMT
Hello,

Why do not you want to use SNAPSHOT?

Fixed version should never be changed but snapshot can.
You have SNAPSHOT while you develop your artifact, and when you're ready to
release it -- you give it version number.

Other artifacts may depend on your snapshot. If so -- maven knows that
snapshot could be changed and fetches new version of snapshot periodically.
But if you depend on fixed version (i.e: my-artifact-1.2.3) and you already
have it in your local repository -- maven would not fetch it again, because
it should be the same and maven knows it.

If you really want to refetch such artifact -- simply remove it from your
local repository, but that's bad idea because it breakes maven's philosophy
and brings pain in your development process.

Ilya.

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrey Razumovsky [mailto:razumovsky.andrey@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, February 01, 2010 1:42 PM
To: Maven Users List
Subject: Automatic updates from repository

Hello,

In our company we've got a local repository. There's an artifact (packaged
as POM or as JAR), which is deployed by me and used by other projects. It is
changing frequently, so we don't want referencing POM to change often (i.e.
version changes rarely). Now it seems new versions are not downloaded by
referencing projects automatically at build time. Is it because I haven't
specified "SNAPSHOT" postfix? If yes, is there a way to allow automatic
changes detection without "SNAPSHOT" postfix?

Thanks,
Andrey