maven-users mailing list archives

From "Todd Thiessen" <thies...@nortel.com>
Subject RE: Putting nexus setting.xml info in pom
Date Tue, 08 Dec 2009 20:00:50 GMT
This is sound advice. It may at first sound unnecessary but it is very
useful.

Say down the road your Nexus server changes and you have hard coded your
Nexus server in your POM. You can no longer build your old tags.

Brian wrote an excellent blog about it here:

http://www.sonatype.com/people/2009/02/why-putting-repositories-in-your-
poms-is-a-bad-idea/

It is also worth while noting that there is a global and local
settings.xml file. We put repository information in the global
settings.xml file. The local one, in my view at least, is meant to
contain information that is specific to that developer. Like user ID and
password. Maven takes the union of the global and local settings.xml
files.

If you are working in a Linux environment, you may be able to provide
your team with an environment where everyone shares the same
installation of Maven. That way, you would only need to change the
global settings.xml file in one place.  I am not all that Linux savey,
so I don't know the details of setting it up, but I have used it and it
works pretty slick.

---
Todd Thiessen