maven-users mailing list archives

From Mike Olson <Michae...@Sun.COM>
Subject Issues with plugin dependencies
Date Mon, 07 Dec 2009 22:29:55 GMT

Hello,

  This is with Maven 2.2.1.

  I have an aggregate POM file that contains 2 child projects, say
project A and project B.

  Each of these child projects uses a custom build plugin.  Project A
calls it like

    <build>
        <plugins>
            <plugin>
                <groupId>myGrupId</groupId>
                <artifactId>myArtifactId</artifactId>
                <version>1.0</version>
                <dependencies>
                    <dependency>
                        <groupId>my-dep-1-group</groupId>
                        <artifactId>my-dep-1-artifactId</artifactId>
                        <version>my-dep-1-version</version>
                        <classifier>data</classifier>
                        <scope>compile</scope>
                    </dependency>
                </dependencies>
                <configuration>
                    <myParam1>param</myParam1>
                </configuration>
                <executions>
                    <execution>
                        <id>EXEC1</id>
                        <phase>generate-sources</phase>
                        <goals>
                            <goal>generate-code</goal>
                        </goals>
                        <configuration>
                            <p2>param2<//p2>
                        </configuration>
                    </execution>
                 </executions>
          <plugin>
      </plugins>
</build>

Basically it invokes a custom MOJO in the generate-sources phase.  The
plugin uses information on the classpath (among other things) to
determine what code to generate.

Child project 2 has the exact same setup "however" it changes the
dependency defined in the plugin to be dependent on a different project.

When I build each project individually, they build perfectly fine.
However, when I build the aggregate project, child project 2 fails
because it is using the dependencies of the first project.  I have
verified this with various dumps of the class path, etc.  I have tried
inheriting the plugin information, separate plugin definitions in the
child project, many configurations. It always seems that the first time
a plugin is loaded that is the classpath used for that plugin whenever
it is executed.

Is this a bug?  I would have expected the inline dependencies to work
just like the configuration section of a plugin, basically it is for
that invocation only.

If this is not a bug, how should I be invoking the same plugin twice,
with different class paths, within the same build.

Thank
Mike