maven-users mailing list archives

From Jesse Foster <jesse.fos...@verizonbusiness.com>
Subject Multi-Module Project and Release Plugin
Date Wed, 11 Nov 2009 03:37:45 GMT

I'm trying to branch our code from trunk using the Maven Release Plugin .
When I try to do a dry run with the release plugin it complains about
missing scm information when all parent poms have scm sections.  I'm
guessing the plugin is expecting a scm section in the root pom.xml, but I
didn't put one there as the pom just aggregates the whole project together.
Is there a way around this or am I forced to run the release plugin for each
module independently?

Thanks,
Jesse

Project layout:

pom.xml (Aggregate parent)
Common-libraries
- pom.xml (Aggregate and Inheritance Parent)
- multiple modules building libraries for use across applications
Common-components
- pom.xml (Aggregate and Inheritance Parent)
- multiple modules building jar and wars containing api's and common web
apps( provisioning, etc. )
Application-A
- pom.xml (Aggregate and Inheritance Parent)
- api-jar
- webapp
- ear
Application-B
- pom.xml (Aggregate and Inheritance Parent)
- api-jar
- webapp
- ear
Application-C
- pom.xml (Aggregate and Inheritance Parent)
- api-jar
- webapp
- ear
Packaging Pom
- pom.xml (Aggregate and Inheritance Parent)
- Big Ear (Pulls all jars and wars together for one unified ear ready for
deployment)
- assembly (Zips together a jboss distribution, our jboss config files, and
ear for final package)

Applications A-C use jars and wars from common-libraries and
common-components.  These applications must run within our environment and a
standalone environment, thus they build their own ears.  All of the
applications are isolated from one another as well; you can check out
Application-C and compile it by itself without needing code from the common
projects(the jars get pushed to our internal maven repository).  This also
means the Applications have their own trunk, tags, and branches so they can
be developed separately from the main codeline.

As mentioned above the root pom.xml is just an aggregate parent so it
literally just has modules listed in it.