maven-users mailing list archives

From slanted <slantedwal...@gmail.com>
Subject development methodology
Date Tue, 10 Nov 2009 17:59:16 GMT

Our development team recently mavenized a couple of our web applications. We
are struggling a bit with the new development methodology.

A brief description of our artifacts and our setup:

We have 2 web applications: shop & signup.
These 2 web applications are both dependant on 2 jars: content.jar &
libs.jar.
We use IntelliJ  for our IDE and Hudson for a CI/build server.

Now for our ‘process’:

-	Suppose we add some new functionality to our libs.jar. We increment the
version, let’s say from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1.
-	Now we release libs version 1.0.1
-	Now we update the shop & signup web apps to be dependant on libs 1.0.1.
And we release both of them
-	Now QA finds a bug in the libs.
-	Change the libs.jar pom to be 1.0-SNAPSHOT, indicating development.
-	The developers change shop & signup poms to be dependant on libs
1.0-SNAPSHOT
-	Develop the fix
-	Now we increment libs.jar to version 1.0.2
-	Update shop & signup web apps to be dependant on 1.0.2. Release.
-	Another bug is found…
-	Change the libs.jar pom to be 1.0-SNAPSHOT, indicating development
-	The developers change shop & signup poms to be dependant on libs
1.0-SNAPSHOT
-	Develop the fix…
-	And so on

Now for the question: For a simple setup like this, is Maven overkill?

Our development process was quite a bit simpler when we were using ANT and
didn’t worry about the versions.

Before, everyone just updated from subversion and got the latest code and
there was no worrying about updating our pom files with each test/release
cycle.

We’ve gone the maven route and would like to stick with it.
Could anyone comment on our process and maybe point out some ways to improve
this constant pom updating?

Thanks,
Eric