maven-users mailing list archives

From Brett Randall <javabr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Differences between app servers
Date Wed, 07 Oct 2009 21:28:44 GMT
Hi Jim

If you are not already using them, you might like to take a look at
Maven Profiles. By activating a profile, you can influence the
artifacts and resources which make up a particular build e.g.
targeting a specific appserver.

If you write a lot of web apps for deployment to different appservers,
you might end up writing your own archetype with profiles in place for
this - I'm not aware of any existing.

Brett

On 10/8/09, Jim Collings <jlistnews@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not so much.  Take Weblogic for example. You really can't deploy a
> Struts2 based WAR file to it because of library conflicts. It would be
> cool if I could specify somehow, somewhere that this is a Weblogic
> project.  Then it would always build as an ear and would include a
> weblogic-application.xml with the excludes/prefers set so that the
> conflicts don't happen. Also Weblogic insists on APP-INF rather than
> WEB-INF. Perhaps that is related to the fact that it is now an *.ear
> file though, I don't know.
>
> On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 3:59 AM, Brett Randall <javabrett@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 11:21 AM, Jim C. <jcllings@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Are there archetypes or something else out there that will differentiate
>>> between application servers?  We try to write cross platform Java and it
>>> seems like our app server vendors are fighting us tooth and nail. I
>>> suppose that is the reason for GlassFish but our shop isn't allowed to
>>> use it.
>>>

>>> Jim C.
>>>

>> What types of issue/differences are you facing? Are they compile/deploy or
>> runtime issues?
>>
>> Brett

Sent from my mobile device