maven-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Why are repositories usually separated into releases and snapshots?
Date Sun, 25 Oct 2009 10:31:52 GMT
2009/10/25 Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com>:

> Sent from my [rhymes with tryPod] ;-)
>
> On 25 Oct 2009, at 01:36, David Weintraub <qazwart@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> No one has answered the basic question: Why two repositories?
>>
>> I know the differences between a release and snapshot. but that doesn't
>> explain why the releases and snapshots are in two separate repositories.
>> Why
>> not keep both snapshots and releases in the same repository. We know
>> something is a snapshot simply because it has the word "SNAPSHOT" appended
>> to it.
>>

> well actually, that only applies if you turn off timestamped snapshots, and
> timestamped snapshots are the only kind allowed for 3.x
>
>> Because of the dual repository structure, I have to configure everything
>> with two separate repository names, two separate repository URLs, and two
>> sets of accounts and passwords. So, why not simply have a single
>> repository
>> which can store both snapshots and releases?
>
> if you use a repository manager, you can group the snapshots and releases so
> that the storage is separate but you access the one repository
>

>> These are the only reasons I can think of:
>>
>> * Administration: Backing up a release repository is extremely important.
>> Backing up snapshots -- not so much. But, is this actually true?
>>
>> * Who can see what. I might want my snapshot repository available to my
>> developers, but not to the world. However, this would be more of something
>> my repository management software should be able to do.
>>
>> * Releases should only be added to the release repository by a release
>> manager, and not by any developer. However, snapshots would be added by
>> developers. Again, this seems better handled via my repository management
>> software.
>>
>> So, what is the reason to have two separate and distinct repositories for
>> snapshots and for releases?
>
> update frequency, you may want to check snapshots with a greater or lesser
> frequency than releases
>
> resolving ranges, ranges are only resolved from release repositories (this
> is either a bug or deliberate) so if you have a repository enabled for both
> releases and snapshots then any ranges for artifacts from such a repository
> will resolve snapshots within the range

not that this is different from a snapshot in your local repository
being resolved in a range

if I build foo locally and it has a dependency on bar [1,) then I
expect to get the latest release of bar eg 1.3

if I then locally build and mvn install bar eg 1.4-SNAPSHOT then
rebuilding foo I would expect my local bar version to win in the range
which it will because it is in my local metadata

I think that some aspects of how this works currently leave a lot to
be desired, but for now, if you use ranges, you *must* keep the repos
separate