maven-users mailing list archives

From Quintin Beukes <quin...@skywalk.co.za>
Subject Re: Maven plugin to update jar?
Date Wed, 23 Sep 2009 18:47:10 GMT
> Just to confirm, this "large artifact", who "owns" and "builds" it? Is
> it always the same JAR, or does it change with every build as well?

The reason I'm asking is that if most of the JAR stays the same, and
only the classes you replace keep changing, you could try building it
ONCE with those classes removed. Then you could just build a small JAR
with these "missing" classes and throw both onto the classpath.

The only time this won't work is if this JAR gets scanned by apps like
application servers (Geronimo, OpenEJB, etc.) or persistence libraries
(Hibernate). The reason for this is that the scanning is usually
limited to the classpath itself. But again, depending on what exactly
you're doing this solution might work for you (ex. your classes
doesn't need to be scanned - like if they're not EJBs and the artifact
is an EJB-jar).