maven-users mailing list archives

From Anders Hammar <and...@hammar.net>
Subject Re: How to create patched artifact?
Date Tue, 04 Aug 2009 18:27:37 GMT
Tim,

> 4. Package, publish your new patched artifact to a repository manager
> (under a new groupId, artifactId, version).
>
> The key here is that you create a project that patches the original
> artifact and then publishes it under a different GAV coordinate.   I
> would not recommend patching the JAR and then writing it back to the
> repository manager under the same GAV coordinate: 1. You are going to
> have a GAV collision, and 2. It makes it difficult to update to a new
> version of this binary dependency.

Is it really best practise to change groupId and artifactId? I would
only change the version so that Maven has a chance to detect
collisions. Similar to what Brian recommends for converting a SNAPSHOT
version to a release version in this blog entry (see rule #5):
http://www.sonatype.com/people/2009/01/best-practices-for-releasing-with-3rd-party-snapshot-dependencies/

/Anders