maven-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: LATEST version of an "artifact"
Date Sat, 04 Jul 2009 16:15:39 GMT
it was designed for plugins only

and it is less usefull than you think

it also depends on the correct metadata being deployed

if you deploy in the following order, the following versions

1.0
2.0
2.1
3.0
1.1

then LATEST will be 1.1

it also gives an irreproducible build, as tomorrow you could end up
picking up 3.1 or 4.0 or 2.2 or 1.2 depending on what gets published

version ranges are more reliable (but again these require correct
metadata and give you an irreproducible build)

the problem you *think* you have is actually not a problem, and if you
use the release plugin [and perhaps additionally the versions plugin]
everything will "just work out"

-Stephen