maven-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RELEASE and branches
Date Wed, 22 Apr 2009 17:35:33 GMT
2009/4/22 David Hoffer <dhoffer6@gmail.com>

> Sorry, I might not be clear on the big problem you are trying to solve.
>  The
> release plugin works for us.  Its used for each dependency you need to
> release.  We try to limit snapshot usage overall, that's just for things a
> project is actively changing, else use a released version.
>
> The 'biggest' problem, I have had, is not being able to use version
> ranges...means I have to modify the dependency version in the consuming
> projects, but never more than one per per dependency so its manageable.
>  Now
> I see there is the versions-maven-plugin so potentially this will allow
> version ranges which will eliminate this manual process.
>
> -Dave

FYI, the versions-maven-plugin *modifies* your pom.xml... so you will still
have to commit the changed poms to SCM... but you don't have to change them
by hand any more... the process should go something like this

mvn versions:update-properties
mvn clean verify
if that worked
  mvn versions:commit
  svn ci -m "updated the versions"
else
  mvn versions:revert
fi

Note: versions-maven-plugin (from 1.0-alpha-3) uses a "poor man's" scm to
allow you to roll back the changes it made quickly

-Stephen