maven-users mailing list archives

From Olivier Cailloux <ml...@ulb.ac.be>
Subject Re: Best practices for avoiding duplicate configuration files
Date Wed, 29 Apr 2009 14:00:19 GMT
Ceki Gulcu a écrit :
> Olivier,
>
> Since projects A and B seem to be just artifacts, I am still wondering
> why projects A and B need a configuration file for logging. If it is
> for testing purposes, why not use logback-text.xml and place it under
> /src/test/resources/ directory?
Indeed, it appears to me now that I was mixing two different purposes
for my projects A and B: they aim to produce a usable library (reusable
components for developers) AND they are providing some simple main class
and launcher to enable direct, simple usage for a non-developer
end-user. I guess I should separate these two concerns and develop
1) a project intended as a library, with the logging component and
config files only in the "test" scope (and no need to include the
launcher here)
2) a project intended for use by the end-user, dependant on the above
library, and with the logging component provided at runtime.

That might suffice to solve most of my problems of duplicate config
files which were due to this mixing of concern in my mind. Anyway, my
questions were more general than to be applied only on my current
projects, so it was very useful to be able to think about other solutions.

(Off-topic again, I must say I appreciate very much slf4j and
logback-classic, and the "complain" of logback has not been annoying to
me but rather useful as it allowed me to take note of an incorrect
design in my projects.)
Olivier