maven-users mailing list archives

From "COURCY Michael" <mcourcy-exte...@sigma.fr>
Subject RE: how to EMMA-instrument dependencies
Date Wed, 18 Mar 2009 16:00:58 GMT
I see, well unless you instrument your local repository ... I don't really see a simple and
*clean* solution.

Emma offer an option to instrument code by providing its own classloader, but it means you
have to inteact with classworld maven classloader and thus write a plugin for that :

http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-maven-classloading.html

Should be possible but there's a real work to do.

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Vasiliy.Baranov@Sun.COM [mailto:Vasiliy.Baranov@Sun.COM]
Envoyé : mercredi 18 mars 2009 16:48
À : Maven Users List
Objet : Re: how to EMMA-instrument dependencies

Thank you, but this does not really solve my problem. The problem is not
  that I cannot instrument dependency JARs. The problem is I cannot cleanly get instrumented
JARs into the unit test classpath.

Vasiliy

COURCY Michael wrote:
> Hi
>
> From my experience with emma I use a ant call after the compilation phase.
>
> Ant is going much more power than the emma plugin
>
> 		  <!--
> 		     pour instrumenter l'appli web
> 		     mvn install -P instrument
> 		   -->
> 		  <profile>
> 			<id>instrument</id>
> 			<build>
> 				<plugins>
> 					<plugin>
> 				    <artifactId>maven-antrun-plugin</artifactId>
> 				      <executions>
> 				         <execution>
> 				           <phase>process-classes</phase>
> 							<configuration>
> 				              	  <tasks>
> 					                <ant antfile="${basedir}/instrument_for_coverage.xml">
> 										<target name="instrument"/>
> 									</ant>
> 					              </tasks>
> 				            </configuration>
> 				            <goals>
> 				              <goal>run</goal>
> 				            </goals>
> 				          </execution>
> 				        </executions>
> 				  </plugin>
> 				  </plugins>
> 			  </build>
> 		  </profile>
>
> And use the overwrite mode in the ant, then only your class are going to be instrumended
if you active this option  :

> <target name="instrument" depends="init">
>
>     <echo>Instrumenting the classes</echo>
> 	<emma enabled="${emma.enabled}" >
>       <instr instrpathref="ServeurJava.classpath"
>              metadatafile="${metadatafile}"
>              merge="true"
> 			 mode="overwrite"
>       >
>          <filter value="${emma.filter}" />
>       </instr>
>     </emma>
>
>   </target>
>
> Thus running
>
> Mvn package -P instrument
>
> produce an instrumented war
>
> And
>
> Mvn package
>
> Produce a regular one
>
> Good luck, emma rocks !!

built locally and installed into the local repository.
> I need to instrument some of the dependency JARs with the EMMA
> coverage tool and have Maven run unit tests against instrumented JARs
> rather than the original dependencies. The emma-maven-plugin
> (http://mojo.codehaus.org/emma-maven-plugin) does not seem to be of much help as it does
not seem to support this scenario.

> Of course, it would be ideal if the emma-maven-plugin had support for this. In fact,
the plugin has an 'instrumentationPaths' parameter which can be used to instrument classes
from arbitrary directories; so I think dependencies can be copied, unpacked, instrumented
this way and passed to maven-surefire-plugin via the 'classesDirectory' parameter; but in
this case both the instrumented classes and original dependencies both appear on the test
classpath, which sounds wrong.

> Actually, I can bypass emma-maven-plugin and run EMMA instrumentor via exec-maven-plugin,
but again, it looks like the only way to pass the instrumented classes to surefire is via
the 'classesDirectory' or 'additionalClasspathElements' parameter, which is the same problem
as above, which makes me think this is not solely emma-maven-plugin's problem (hence posting
to this list).

> What would be the right Maven way to achieve the goal? I am new to Maven so I am sorry
if I am missing something obvious. I spent several days trying to find a solution, to no success.

> In fact, I have some control over the dependency projects so I think I can build them
so that the resulting JARs will contain instrumented classes (or I can instrument JARs separately
and 'install:install-file'