maven-users mailing list archives

From John Stoneham <ly...@lyrically.net>
Subject Re: Perform release without updating pom to new SNAPSHOT version
Date Mon, 19 Jan 2009 16:17:12 GMT
On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 7:01 AM, Wim Deblauwe <wim.deblauwe@gmail.com> wrote:
> No, we don't have an extra version. The branch is called "int_module_1.0"
> and we use 1.0-SNAPSHOT on that branch. When we release, this becomes
> version 1.0 and no further work should be done on that branch. We will then
> create a new branch "int_module_1.1" and use version 1.1-SNAPSHOT there.

You can certainly have the release plugin return all the POMs to
1.0-SNAPSHOT. We use this when releasing a Release Candidate - take
the release preparation branch, release as 1.0.RC1, have it return the
POMs to 1.0-SNAPSHOT. Continue this process releasing additional RCs
until we are ready to release 1.0 proper.

You could also have it update them to 1.0.1-SNAPSHOT which is what
others seem to be suggesting. This is usually the case with my team
when we do a final release - this causes our release preparation
branch to turn into a maintenance/patches branch.

I'm not sure how to attach a branch lock to the release process but
you certainly could do so afterwards with something like 'mvn
release:prepare someplugin:lockbranch' (obviously how you do it
depends on how you lock branches in your environment).

- John