maven-users mailing list archives

From PeterNilsson <peter.nilsson...@gmail.com>
Subject Big slowdown on Linux when upgrading assembly plugin from 2.2-beta-1 to 2.2-beta-3
Date Wed, 21 Jan 2009 10:27:10 GMT

Our build on Linux (redhat) has more than doubled in time since we upgraded
the assembly plugin from 2.2-beta-1 to 2.2-beta-3.

I did some testing with a tiny project for different versions of the
assembly plugin:
2.2-beta-1:   9 seconds
2.2-beta-2:  17 seconds
2.2-beta-3:  30 seconds

The project is really small, it contains only 1 source file. The assembly
plugin declaration in the pom is:

        <plugin>
          <version>2.2-beta-3</version>
          <configuration>
            <descriptors>
              <descriptor>src/main/assembly/descriptor.xml</descriptor>
            </descriptors>

<outputDirectory>${project.build.directory}/dist</outputDirectory>

<workDirectory>${project.build.directory}/assembly/work</workDirectory>
            <attach>true</attach>
            <archive>
              <manifestEntries>

<Implementation-Version>${parent.version}</Implementation-Version>

<Implementation-Revision>${buildNumber}</Implementation-Revision>
                <Build-Timestamp>${timestamp}</Build-Timestamp>
                <Copyright>${copyright}</Copyright>
              </manifestEntries>
            </archive>
          </configuration>
          <executions>
            <execution>
              <id>assemble</id>
              <goals>
                <goal>single</goal>
              </goals>
              <phase>package</phase>
            </execution>
          </executions>
        </plugin>

The descriptor.xml includes a few local files and then about 20 jars from
dependencies, most of them are included through the transitive mechanism.

<assembly>
  <id>bin</id>
  <formats>
    <format>zip</format>
  </formats>
  <fileSets>
    <fileSet>
      <directory>src/main/bin</directory>
      <outputDirectory>bin</outputDirectory>
      <includes>
        <include>*</include>
      </includes>
      <fileMode>774</fileMode>
    </fileSet>
    <fileSet>
      <outputDirectory>resources</outputDirectory>
      <includes>
        <include>*</include>
      </includes>
    </fileSet>
    <fileSet>
      <directory>target</directory>
      <outputDirectory>lib</outputDirectory>
      <includes>
        <include>*.jar</include>
      </includes>
    </fileSet>
  </fileSets>
  <dependencySets>
    <dependencySet>
      <useProjectArtifact>false</useProjectArtifact>
      <outputDirectory>lib</outputDirectory>
    </dependencySet>
  </dependencySets>
</assembly>

Any idea what causes the slowdown? How can we avoid id?

We are running Java 1.6 and Maven 2.0.9. We use an Artifactory proxy but it
should not be a factor as I run the tests repeatedly so everything should be
in the local repo.

    Regards,

    Peter