maven-users mailing list archives

From Brendon Davidson <brend...@dimestore.com>
Subject Compiling one module into another
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2008 20:03:15 GMT
Hello,

We have three projects under a single parent project.  The structure is as follows:

ParentProject
  - Core (jar)
  - Project A (war)
  - Project B (war)

Core is a set of classes that are used for DB access by both Project A and Project B.

We want to keep the size of the war files down.  We've achieved this so far by setting their
dependencies as provided since most of them will change very rarely.  We then provide them
locally by adding the dependencies to jetty and we manually add the dependency jars to production.

Currently, even core is set as provided in projects A and B (otherwise core's dependencies
get added to the war which makes the war file huge).  So when we deploy a project, we have
to upload the latest core jar into the Tomcat's lib directory and replace the war file with
the new war.  This is not the end of the world, but we'd like to get it to where we can simply
upload the new war.  Ideally, compiling project A(or B) would also compile the core classes
into war file (WEB-INF/classes/...).

Is this possible?  Thus far, I have been unable to figure out how to get this working the
way we want.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brendon