maven-users mailing list archives

From Martin Gainty <mgai...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Could anyone give me some idea what is the difference bwteen ant and maven?
Date Fri, 24 Oct 2008 19:45:47 GMT

Great question btw!

Ant is xml-based target driven build environment
each task(s) corresponds to a particular piece of build functionality such as jsp-compile,compile,jar,war
or ear
which must be completed in order so that the web-application (war) or application enterprise
app (ear) can deploy
Currently ant has no capability (and just as soon as I say this someone could release a new
jar with these functions) to
define repositories (offline/online)
no ability to interface to 'the build system' thru a predefined plugin interface
The biggest challenge i found with ant is no ability to handle version specific build environment
configurations
e.g.
fu.jar needs to be 1.0
bar.jar needs to be 1.1
fubar.jar needs fu.jar (1.0 version) and bar.jar (1.1 version) to work properly..

Anyone?
Martin
Disclaimer and confidentiality note
within this transmission.