maven-users mailing list archives

From "Brian E. Fox" <bri...@reply.infinity.nu>
Subject RE: fatal dependency management flaw in maven?
Date Mon, 30 Jun 2008 18:12:38 GMT

>Hmm, so in short you're telling me that I should completely lock down
my
>build process simply because maven can't differentiate between plugin
deps,
>test deps and compile/runtime deps.

No, only because it will save you hassle later.

Another thing to consider is that regardless of what decisions are made
about artifacts when they are retrieved from the remote repository, once
they are in your local repo, that level of checking is gone. So for
example if a test uses GPL artifact A, it's now in everyone's local repo
so later if the product uses the same artifact A...there will be no
checking done on the repository manager nor segregation based on what
the remote repository settings are.

There are some proposals on the table to further break down the local
repo and until those are implemented, this use case can't really be
fully handled...regardless of the implementation of scope based repos.

--Brian