maven-users mailing list archives

From "Barrie Treloar" <baerr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Multiple CPUs
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2008 23:28:42 GMT
On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 8:51 PM, Benedikt Thelen <thelenb@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there, i am sort of a maven newbee,
>  At our workplce we have a quite big Coccon project in developenet and we use
>  maven to build it. Building takes usually 5-6 minutes which is quite a
>  while. I noticed using gkrellm and htop that maven only uses one of the two
>  processors (Levono Thinkpad with intel core Duo) in my notebook.
>  Question: Is there a way to tell maven to use both CPU's while building? I
>  searched gooogle a lot but i didn't find anything.

If you are building your entire system, including unit tests, in under
10 minutes that should be good enough.

6 minutes is fine.  It gives you time to stretch your legs, go to the
loo, grab a drink.

The alternatives are:

* manually select which modules to build, (i.e only the ones you
changed) - generally it is faster to run it at the project root than
cd around typing mvn commands

* setup your IDE to use direct project references instead of
~/.m2/repository references - then you can develop without running
maven at all !!!!  You only run maven just prior to committing the
changes back, which is much less often and you can afford the waste of
6 minutes.

* turn off plugins for development and make sure they are on for
continuous development. e.g. you may not need to run checkstyle as
your IDE is already checking this.

The main problem you would have with a multi-cpu build would be
understanding the console output. Since maven isn't threaded already
the output would be interwoven and impossible to understand.