maven-users mailing list archives

From "Brian E. Fox" <bri...@reply.infinity.nu>
Subject RE: Repository search order
Date Sat, 12 Apr 2008 23:40:18 GMT
Usually corporations want the central control that delegating everything
to a single url provides. However you are still able to address the
individual repositories if you want. This will also allow you to switch
the urls with a profile. For machines that are entirely internal (corp
desktops), setting up to use the internal proxy is easy by adding a
mirror url. It's the traveling machines that need a bit more work.

When I used to work where we had an internal proximity setup and I was
working from home (sometimes on maven, sometimes corp stuff), I setup
that corp repo as a repo using the grouped url and just activated it in
a profile when I needed it. Since I added it to my list last, any public
artifacts are pulled from the repos directly and only the corp artifacts
(and things from repos I might not have configured) would be retrieved
from the corp repo over the vpn.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Hewett [mailto:mark.hewett@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, April 12, 2008 6:24 PM
To: Maven Users List
Subject: Re: Repository search order

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 12:42 PM, Jason van Zyl <jason@maven.org> wrote:

> This is another classic example of why using a repository manager is a
> good thing. You can specify repositories in one central place, and
with
> Nexus you can order, group, and route which means you can get certain
> artifacts from particular repositories if you so choose. Using Nexus
will
> also help you manager all your repository use from one location. If
you're a
> lone developer then this isn't much of an advantage, but if there is a
team
> then using a repository manager has definite advantages.
>
> You can read about repository managers here:
>
> http://www.sonatype.com/book/reference/repository-manager.html#

I've not tried using a repository manager for a while, so maybe I'm not
understanding/remembering something, but is there a way to use a
repository
manager without making your builds dependent upon the correct
configuration
in settings.xml and on the repository manager being available?  I don't
version my settings.xml with my project source code, and we don't
necessarily share a common settings.xml in our team, so depending on
settings in there makes the build potentially non-repeatable and
environmentally sensitive.  I also tend to work disconnected from the
company network quite a bit, so depending upon a corporate repository
manager in order for the builds to work correctly can also be an issue
(e.g.
if Nexus is grouping several repositories under one URL, people are
likely
to miss adding the appropriate repository definition to the POM, and
also
the issue of artifacts in central also being in some 3rd party
repositories
- maybe with different content - which Nexus can work around - if I'm
not
using the Nexus proxy/mirror, maybe I'll pick up different artifacts).

I think these were the issue I ran into last time around.  I'll have to
give
it a go again - but has anyone else run into similar issues using
repository
managers, and if so, how do you work around them?

Thanks,
Mark