maven-users mailing list archives

From Dirk Olmes <d...@xanthippe.ping.de>
Subject Re: Best practices for java version?
Date Mon, 31 Mar 2008 01:57:43 GMT
Milos Kleint wrote:
> check the toolchains proposal that is supposed to address this issue.
>
> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Toolchains

The way the toolchain proposal chooses is somewhat doable with Maven
right now: define a set of VM specific properties in each developers'
settings.xml and use that in the config of the various plugins.

What I don't like about the appraoch is that one has to hand-maintain
the properties/toolchain.xml still. If I update my JDK, I still have to
remember updating the settings or the build will break.

The great benefit of the toolchain approach is that it provides a
standard definition of the JDK and that could also abstract from some
platform specific difficulties (rt.jar on linux/win vs classes.jar on Mac).

Still, I don't like the way how I have to manually distribute the path
to the current JDK into various config files.

-dirk