maven-users mailing list archives

From Martin Höller <mar...@xss.co.at>
Subject Re: Try to run install before eclipse:eclipse
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2008 10:41:05 GMT
On Thursday 06 March 2008 simon.kitching@chello.at wrote:
> Making install run before eclipse:eclipse is a bad idea in some cases.

We would need it only in multi-module projects if some artifacts cannot be
found in the repository.

> In particular, when a project doesn't compile it is currently possible
> to still run eclipse:eclipse. Making install a pre-requisite would block
> that, which would be really anoying.

Good point! A new developer should not only be able to join the team if the
project compiles right now.

> I think what the original poster is saying is that
>   eclipse:eclipse
> is correctly generating all of the eclipse projects, but that eclipse
> then displays build errors because the jars that the newly created
> eclipse projects point to don't yet exist.

No, mvn eclipse:eclipse fails in a multi-module project, if the artifacts
are not in a (local or remote) repository, even if they could have been
built.

See also this thread for some more details:
http://www.nabble.com/maven-eclipse-plugin-with-multi-module-projects-to15222495s177.html

hth,
- martin
--