maven-users mailing list archives

From Olivier Dehon <odn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: dependency:analyze
Date Sat, 01 Mar 2008 18:12:55 GMT
I have been using the dependency:analyze successfully and I find it
works the way I expect (especially when migrating older code to Maven).

That said, there are a couple of things to take into consideration:

- Analysis is based on compiled .class files, so sometimes, a
compile-time dependency (on a constant defined in a JAR for instance)
can be optimized away by the compiler and cause the plugin to report a
false "Unused defined".

- For Web apps, do not forget to compile the JSPs into .class files and
include those in the analysis to get the real picture.

Maybe you have a concrete example that shows the wrong behavior?

-Olivier

On Sat, 2008-03-01 at 17:48 +0100, Dooing@gmx.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was recommended to use "dependency:analyze" by this list -
> It's nice, but doesn't really work imho -
>
> Many dependencies that are def. required at runtime, it interprets as "not required"
- while others that are not required imho - it says the project would need them.