maven-users mailing list archives

From "Allen, Daniel" <Daniel.Al...@kbcfp.com>
Subject RE: Local Maven repository. Newbie question...
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2008 19:33:07 GMT
I'm not sure what's going on... The first time I ran maven 2, it
autocreated both the .m2/repository directory and the .m2/settings.xml
file. Both empty, but just present is sufficient if nothing needs to be
in them yet.

Have you tried to run Maven and found that it crashes? Or are you just
reading the documents right now? (In the latter case, yeah, I had better
luck skimming them for basic ideas and then reading newsgroup posts and
doing trial and error to figure out the details for myself.)

~DVA

-----Original Message-----
From: JG Flowers [mailto:Jeremy_G_Flowers@yahoo.co.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 2:05 PM
To: users@maven.apache.org
Subject: RE: Local Maven repository. Newbie question...

Argh!!! It's a Windows Explorer thing.. :-U
Can name a directory with . prefix with md from command prompt...
Still directory has no repositoty in it. But reading on a bit further it
talks about creating a settings.xml file.
I think it's a chicken or egg thing. In writing the book they talk about
things in chapter 1 than get covered for first time in chapter 2... %-|
Cheers for reply, Jeremy

Allen, Daniel wrote:

> Not saying for sure that this is what's going on, but in my experience
> it seems like XP only makes that complaint if *you* try to name a
folder
> that, while automated processes can get away with it. That is, the
check
> is only part of the UI, not an actual file system rule. I'm developing
> on XP, and my local repository cache is in C:\Docs &
> Settings\username\.m2 as usual, and in fact I have several other apps
> born on Unix that name directories with a leading dot.
>
> You mileage may vary, though; I'm on a fancy corporate network set up
> share drives between Unix systems and Windows desktops, so maybe IT
did
> something magical that they never told me about to make this possible.
> Try to run Maven, and see if it autocreates the directory.
>
> ~Dan Allen

of,