maven-users mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Defining version in single location?
Date Tue, 11 Dec 2007 19:46:50 GMT
Michael McCallum wrote:

> what is the benefit in having one version?

Sometimes code needs to be separated into different jars or EJBs for
operational reasons, where it makes no sense to release separately.

In other cases, code can be in a state of transition, where code is
first refactored into a separate jar, which is then spun out to have a
lifecycle of its own.

There is no "one size fits all" strategy for all projects, especially as
projects evolve over time.

(We have 5 primary projects, with 5 discrete version numbers, and we are
negotiating to arrange a sixth. Politics takes time.)

Regards,
Graham