maven-users mailing list archives

From "Wendy Smoak" <wsm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Deploy to production from a production Maven repository
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2007 03:32:56 GMT
On 11/5/07, Simon Taylor <set@nortel.com> wrote:

> I've recently seen the light of using Maven to build projects.

A convert! :)

> I understand that once complete artifacts are deployed to a "production"
> Maven repository so they can be consumed as ready.
> Whats not clear to me is whether Maven is the tool to then consume that
> production ready artifact and deploy it to the producton server ready to
> be run up as a production app.
> Can someone clarify for me how they consume a Maven production artifact
> on their production server.

You can take a look at the Cargo project or the various plugins that
deploy to appservers, but usually there is a configuration management
group in charge of deployment and you will have to follow their
procedures in order to get anything deployed into production.

Where I am now we're looking at improving the automation of
deployment, but probably more in a "pull" model.  The Maven repo has a
nice standard structure so it's easy to construct urls if you know the
groupId, the artifactId and the version number.  So rather than try to
have Maven deploy things, it's more likely that we'll "notify" another
system or group of people, maybe provide a url, and have them pull
what they need.

--
Wendy