maven-users mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <joerg.schai...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: How can I get the path for a root pom.xml's basedir in a multimodule project with pom inheritance
Date Sat, 27 Oct 2007 11:58:00 GMT
clamb wrote:

> Jörg Schaible-2 wrote:
>>
>> Why don't you simply keep those filters in an own module and pack them
>> into
>> an archive? Every other project that needs to access them may declare a
>> dep
>> on that artifact and can user the build-helper plugin to unpack them into
>> temporary location.
>>
>> - Jörg
>>

> Two reasons:
>
>  1) I'm really new at maven and i still haven't gotten 100% into the maven
> packaging mindset. When i have more time i'll investigate your suggestion
> closer.
>
>  2) It seems non-intuitive to bundle 4 xml files into an archive, then
> expand that archive out before i compile my java files ('cause i need to
> filter them) for all 12 of my sub-projects vs: have my sub-project simply
> point to the filter in the parent.

Well, if you release your components individually, your solution will simply
not work! The release plugin will checkout the source from the tag into
directory target/checkout and build the component *there*. Obviously your
path no longer matches and the build will break or produce unexpected
results.

- Jörg