maven-users mailing list archives

From "Graham Leggett" <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Building Eclipse RCP/PDE Projects
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2007 10:39:12 GMT
On Wed, October 31, 2007 11:43 am, Michal Paluchowski wrote:

> I have a set of Eclipse plugin projects, which are to be moved to
> Maven-managed building and packaging. Initially the future looked
> bright as I found a perfectly suited article at eclipse.org:

One last set of advice:

Stick to the Eclipse naming conventions.

Eclipse wants the name of the plugin to match the package name of the
contents of the plugin, eg "com.example.foo", and this must match the name
of the maven project.

It is tempting to give the eclipse plugin a name, like "foo-plugin", but
the "-" character is invalid as a package name, even though it is
perfectly valid as both a jar name and as a maven dependency name, and you
will start encountering problems when Eclipse starts complaining that the
application_id cannot be found, or that the plugin name contains an
invalid character, and various other weird Eclipse errors caused by
Eclipse assuming the name is well formed as per the Eclipse internal rules
(which are obviously bypassed when all the Eclipse config is written to by
maven).

Many many problems disappeared for us when we refactored our plugin code
to follow the naming conventions exactly.

Regards,
Graham