maven-users mailing list archives

From Manos Batsis <manos_li...@geekologue.com>
Subject Re: How do people handle installers/exe/bat/sh in maven?
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2007 12:52:58 GMT
John Coleman wrote:
> Funny you should mention this as I was just pondering this yesterday, so
> many thanks for posting about IZPack.
>
> We send WARs to our clients, but it would be nice to be able to edit the
> config files embedded in the WARs, prior to dropping the WAR into the
> container. At present they drop the WAR into Tomcat, deploy, stop the
> webapp then edit the config files manually (yuk). Would be great to have
> an installer, GUI and command line based, that does the deployment more
> smoothly and can display settings files neatly in panels.
>
> I don't think IZPack meets these requirements though, perhaps it can be
> extended.

Actually it does, even indirectly. We have used IZPack to create,
configure build and deploy EARs and databases in the past; we just had
IZPack use our existing Ant build for all this (we actually included an
Ant distribution in the installer back then).

I am sure it is far more advanced now (have not used it for a year) but
even then it was pretty flexible, as it had plenty of useful "panels"
and hooks to use for any custom stuff.

And since it is OS, it can be extended ;-)

Cheers,

Manos