maven-users mailing list archives

From "Marziou, Gael" <gael.marz...@hp.com>
Subject RE: convincing Workplace to use Maven
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2007 11:44:53 GMT

Depending on which technology stack you are using you may have hard time to sell this migration,
especially if you're building J2EE apps mixing EJBs and webapps deployed on a commercial platform.

Make sure you don't propose only a tool (maven) but rather a full development environment
with a repository manager hosted in your intranet, a continuous integration server on top
of maven, project web sites, guidelines, etc...

I have sold it to my management by proposing what I called a "software factory" to homogenize
our dev environment and enable developers to switch more easily and faster between projects
and re-use components. This argument is usually relevant for managers as they tend to think
that developers as resources that can be switched between projects.
Management may not be very sensible to dependency management or other technical arguments.

Cheers,

Gael