maven-users mailing list archives

From "Wayne Fay" <wayne...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Why Maven is Hard?
Date Thu, 27 Sep 2007 16:01:52 GMT
> > How can you help people who ask this question (and others
> > like it)? I agree that _more_ documentation is not
> > necessarily the magic bullet that many believe it is.
>
> The argument that "some people don't read documentation so there is no
> point in writing any more" is a non-sequitor. Please don't fall into
> that trap.

I simply want to make sure that we remember all the various
"documentation problems" while discussing this topic...

One possible way to fix the problem I've mentioned ("annotations are
not supported in -source 1.3") would be to add code in compiler plugin
that watches for that specific problem, and instead of simply printing
that generic error message, it prints a "better" error message that
tells the person how to configure things to make it go away, or
provides a link to the Wiki with a complete discussion and the
configuration.

I don't think that is a reasonable way to fix all the problems people
run into, but for the most common cases, it might make some sense.
What other common cases might be handled with this approach?

Wayne