maven-users mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schai...@Elsag-Solutions.com>
Subject RE: Community review of the next commons-logging pom
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2007 11:28:16 GMT
Michael McCallum wrote on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 1:15 PM:

>> Why? Only with dependencyManagement you're able to manage transitive
>> versions.
> In order to keep clean dependency graphs I have used standard
> OO principles to
> encasulate functionality in this case I will use spring as an example.
>
> Spring provided many artifacts. I have many projects that use
> different groups of spring projects so I have pulled the spring
> dependencies
> out into two
> compositions one that deals with contexts and the other persistence.

[snip]

You still did not explain, what "composition" means. It's no word used in standard Maven terminology.
Your description does not make it clear what you *actually* have done.

[snip]

>> Commons logging has a different philosophy. But this is OT
> for this list.
> If the difference in philosophy means more difficulty in
> managing dependency
> graphs then its not OT for this list but very pertinent.

It is OT, since it is up to the Apache Commons community how they carve their artifacts. And
splitting an artifact into 6 where 5 of them contain a single wrapper class is where philosophy
starts. You may discuss this at Apache Commons.

- Jörg