maven-users mailing list archives

From "Brett Porter" <brett.por...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: maven proxies
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2007 12:06:02 GMT
Hi Maarten,

I'd encourage you to take a look at all 3 as each has some of the
features and it depends on the balance you give each. For your
options, you'd probably be looking at Proximity or Archiva (bear in
mind that Archiva is only available as an alpha, and that I am biased
towards it :).

All can cope with multiple repositories. Proximity has the most
configurable proxying, and Artifactory probably had the smoothest set
up (though I think Archiva is pretty close there).

Artifactory is the only one with built in backup (it stores all
artifacts in a content repository and metadata in a database). Archiva
and Proximity both store solely on the filesystem (Archiva uses a
database too, but it can be safely rebuilt if lost), so are
straightforward to back up (eg with rsync).

I believe Proximity would do best at blacklisting though there is
support in Archiva too. You could back any repository with DSMP as
well to provide that feature if needed.

I didn't dig into detail on the security features of each, but I don't
think Artifactory has what you want. I believe proximity could be
extended/configured to do that, and Archiva has it up front.

Hope that covers it!

Cheers,
Brett

On 30/06/07, maarten roosendaal <mroosendaal@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Brett,
>
> We are in the progress of moving to Maven 2 and at the moment we just use a local drive
(c:) or a shared drive as a repository.

> We are trying to come up with a standard for the whole organisation and for all projects
executed internally. So what we need is 1 central company wide repository, 2 repositories
(1 SNAPSHOT and one for deliveries) for each project. What we need is a proxy which is easily
manageble, has flexible security (per project, per user), backup options, policies regarding
blacklisted dependencies.