maven-users mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schai...@Elsag-Solutions.com>
Subject RE: What causes release:prepare to re-download
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2007 06:20:49 GMT
Pankaj Tandon wrote on Monday, April 16, 2007 8:33 PM:

> Hi all,
> We've been using mvn release:prepare/perform for several
> months now on our
> build machine. Today, however issuing
> mvn release:prepare caused a LOT of files to be downloaded
> into our local
> repository. What caused this at the command was invoked with
> no explicit
> instructions to look for updates?
> Here is the output of that command.
> I suspect that this download has caused a subsequent mvn site
> command to
> break. But before I fix thatI need to understand what prompts Maven to
> download artifacts without explicitly asking for them?

The update is triggered by the "updatePolicy" element of a pluginRepository definition (settings.xml
and/or pom.xml).
http://maven.apache.org/pom.html#plugin_repositories. If maven is started it takes all defined
plugin repositories into account and looks for updates according the settings.

Best way to prevent such surprises is the usage of version tags for the plugins.

- Jörg