maven-users mailing list archives

From "Raphaël Piéroni" <raphaelpier...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Releasing a branch?
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2007 20:19:33 GMT
Hi

2007/4/26, Heinrich Nirschl <heinrich.nirschl@gmail.com>:
> On 4/26/07, Roland Asmann <Roland.Asmann@cfc.at> wrote:
> > As I see it, you just described the only solution that works. I may be wrong
> > here, so if any of the maven-programmers think I am: please DO tell me!
> > No matter how you assign the version-numbers, fact remains that maven can
> > not 'automatically' handle branching.
> >

> As I see it there are two solutions:
> 1) starting the maintenance branch before the release and doing the
> release on the branch, in this case you have to manually adjust the
> version on the trunk.
>
> 2) doing the release on the trunk and starting the maintenance branch
> from the tagged version, in this case the version has to be manually
> updated on the branch.

Maybe the release plugin should be enhanced with a create-branch option that:
create a branch (named '${tag}.x) from the tag,
checkout the project from the branch in target/checkout directory,
change the checkouted poms versions (say ${tag}.1-SNAPSHOT)
then commit the branch

and you get rid of the manual adjustment.

is this dumb? do that need a enhancement jira?

Raphaël