maven-users mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Salewski" <asalew...@healthmarketscience.com>
Subject Re: Question regarding finalName in maven-assembly-plugin
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2007 19:04:30 GMT
On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 01:27:42PM -0500, Michael Dick spake thus:
*snip*
> It seems that the finalName *could* be added in an xml file in the
> repository. Whether it *should* be added is another issue.
>
> FTR I'm just curious whether this is a possibility, or if anyone else thinks
> it would be a good idea. I did look through the mailing list archives
> unfortunately after I posted the question) and I know this issue has come up
> before.
>
> Thanks again,
> Michael Dick
>
> On 4/11/07, Heinrich Nirschl <heinrich.nirschl@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >On 4/11/07, Michael Dick <michael.d.dick@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I've noticed that the finalName configuration option for an assembly is
> >> ignored when you install or deploy your project. Is this intended
> >behavior?
*snip*
> >> --
> >> -Michael Dick
> >>

> >There is no way for maven to access an artifact in the repository if
> >it does not follow the standard naming conventions.
> >
> >Henry

I have projects that create artifacts with a 'finalName' set, and these
artifacts get installed/deployed with the "wrong" file names (that is,
not what I specified in 'finalName').

In all of my cases, these artifacts do not need to be accessible by
maven for build purposes, so the fact that the files are installed and
deployed with names different from what I specified in 'finalName' is
simply an annoyance (because I then have to rename the files on the
deployment server "by hand").

Maybe we need an attribute for 'finalName' that indicates "yes I know
this name will not be accessible by maven once installed or deployed";
when set maven would deploy the file as named.

-Al

--
::