maven-users mailing list archives

From "Lasse Koskela" <lasse.kosk...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is there a way to control the order of repositories?
Date Wed, 17 Jan 2007 22:13:12 GMT
On 1/17/07, Raymond Feng <enjoyjava@gmail.com> wrote:
> We use multiple maven repos in the build. Is there a way to control the order of the
repositories to be searched for artifacts? In some cases, an arifact is published to both
maven1 and maven2 repos and we prefer to use the one from the maven2 repo.

Please excuse me for hijacking the thread, but I've got another reason
for wanting to "order" repositories.

Speed.

Let's say there's a repository in the office building next to me,
which is a gazillion times as fast as an "official" one on the other
side of the globe. Now, let's also say that the nearby repository is
slow to synchronize with the far-away official repository.

What this means is that I'd like Maven to first check if the nearby
(fast) repository has the stuff I need and only then fall back to the
slower repository.

Lasse

PS. Another related problem: I'm currently sitting in Finland. Next
week, I'll be in Poland. A couple of weeks later somewhere else. If
there was a way to set a "preferred order" for the repositories, I'd
anyway have to change it quite often as I'm travelling. Unless...

[begin smoking the proverbial crack]

Maybe Maven could do a daily benchmark--a ping of some kind--against
each repository, measuring the latency and reordering them
accordingly, storing the measured latencies under "$HOME/.m2"?