maven-users mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schai...@Elsag-Solutions.com>
Subject RE: 2.0.5 release?
Date Mon, 18 Sep 2006 07:49:57 GMT
jerome lacoste wrote on Thursday, September 14, 2006 11:24 PM:

> On 9/14/06, John Taylor <jdt@roe.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> Apologies for what is probably a FAQ, but can anyone give me an
>> approx timescale for the 2.0.5 release?
>
> I haven't followed closely lately but I would say 'When it's done'.
>
>> Just knowing whether it's imminent,
>> weeks or months away would help me decide whether to invest in
>> finding workarounds to some of the issues in 2.0.4.
>
> THere were about 180 issues targeted to it last time I checked. So
> probably not tomorrow nor in the next weeks.

And some of them have been open since 1.0 and postponed from version to version ... so that's
not the real issue ;-)

>> I'm really hoping that 2.0.5 will fix the problems with site
>> deployment, particularly http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MSITE-138
>> and http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MSITE-25 (a real problem for
>> windows users).
>
> You will probably have to find work-arounds.
> Such as
> - backport the plugin patches
> - or use maven 2.0.5-snapshot
> - or fix maven 2.0.5 issues to help fasten the release :)

Well, some bugs already have been fixed and it will need a new Maven release to roll them
out (MNG-1245 and all those dependend on it). Especially in large organizations it is not
really an option to tell every developer to install a snapshot library into their Maven installation
nor will such a thing pass any QA process. Fact is, that creating non-final EJBs, WARs, EARs,
etc. in multi-module builds will produce unusable artifacts. So a "release often release fast"
strategy would definitely be welcome.

- Jörg