maven-users mailing list archives

From Markus KARG <k...@quipsy.de>
Subject Re: Who is the maintainer of the fop:fop project found on repo1.maven.org?
Date Wed, 20 Sep 2006 05:39:18 GMT
Jörg Schaible schrieb:

>>>I have asked them.
>>>They don't know.
>>>They even didn't know that FOP is available on that repository.
>>>So someone just put it up there without their knowledge!
>>>
>>Don't be afraid to make
>>fop-0.20.5.markus1 in your repo that fixes bugs in those poms (and
>>send the
>>fixed poms to
>>their dev list).

That's why I asked for the name of the Maintainer. The FOP developers
are not the FOP-POM authors. So back to the roots (see subject of this
thread): Who is the author of the pom.xml file found at repo1.maven.org?

>>This does not help, since it is no POM issue! Maven may select the version declared
in the POM but it does not have to. So it is quite brain dead for any library to define a
fix classpath in the manifest. Do the devs know with which other libs and deps they're users
have to be compatible? E.g. we're running FOP with complete different avalon artifacts ...

That's wrong. Maven automatically creates the correct Class-Path
attributes in the manifest, and it's up to the fop team to decide what
third party library versions to use. But yes, there is one exception.
FOP has declared some libraries that are not needed in the Class-Path
because J2SE already has factories for that (e. g. XML parser). It was
wrong by FOP to hard-code e. g. those libraries in the Class-Path while
actually its up to the user to adjust the wanted vendor and version by
using the J2SE factory customization. But for all other libraries it
MUST be the FOP author's decision to choose a vendor and version, since
he must assert that the FOP code is able to run with, since users do not
know otherwise what third party stuff is needed. That's what the
Class-Path was invented and standardized for (see JAR MANIFEST
specification).

Markus